Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Reflections



I have a confession.  I am a Mother’s Day Grinch.  I just don’t like the day. There are times when I have actively hated the day.  As a child I guess I liked it well enough.  I always made a card for my Mom; usually funny, since I didn’t do sappy very well. But then every year was the pressure to outdo the previous year.   And that card became tremendously difficult to make the year that my mother lost one of her children – my youngest sister – to chicken pox. I think that happened about a month before Mother’s Day.

In my teens and as I moved into young adulthood, I really loved children and wanted children of my own quite fervently.  However, I had no boyfriend, I didn’t date and I thought myself unlikely to ever get married and have a family.  So I grieved inwardly on Mother’s Day for the children I (thought) I would never have.

Lo and behold, I did marry (the bestest guy ever, btw) and we wanted children.  But, it appeared that I was infertile and treatments for several years did not help. So the grief on Mother’s Day became stronger. I would sit through Mother’s Day at church with tears silently running down my cheeks.
As it happened, I did finally become pregnant and had a child – actually I wound up with three delightful children. Now you might say that the moral to this story is to trust God and not borrow trouble and certainly I have learned that over the years.  But I have never forgotten the grief that I felt on Mother’s Day.

In more recent time, there have been several years where my relationship with my own mother was strained and that, too, contributed to a Mother’s Day experience that was less than happy.

So, yes, I am a Mother’s Day Grinch.

As a pastor, of course, I had a chance to do things my way (sort of), so while I realized that failing to celebrate Mother’s Day would probably anger my congregations, I did make some stipulations.  I would not ask those questions:
            Who is the newest mother here? (Causing grief for those who had miscarriages in the past year.
            Who has the most children? (What about those who would love children but can’t have them?)
            Who has been a mother for the longest? (As those who have lost their mothers in the past year cry to themselves)
I would insist that if we gave a gift to “Mothers” then we would give that gift to all women in the congregation and I would explain why in the spiel that I developed that always goes something like this:
Today is Mother’s Day. This is a great day for some, but for others it is a day of pain and mourning.  Some of you are grieving for mothers that have died; some of you are grieving for children that have died or for those you were not able to have. Some of you have children who have broken your heart and others of you have mothers who have cast you out or abused you. So today, we will honor those who gave us birth, at least those who deserve such honor.  But we will also honor those who are the “mothers” of the commandment in Exodus. When God commands that we honor our mothers, the Hebrew word refers to not only our biological mothers but all those women who nurtured us, taught us, challenged us lovingly, and mentored us.  Every woman here today gets a flower, both to honor the mothering that you do and to remind you that all of you have the opportunity to be a mother.  You can choose motherhood in the biblical tradition.  You can choose to be important to someone, whether a child or an adult, who needs you.  If you are grieving today, I pray that God will soothe your heart. But I also urge you to give your grief to God as an offering and let God lead you into the motherhood of the kingdom.
On Mother’s Day, I think about all the mothers in my life: Kelso, an older lady who was my first babysitter. Annie May and Wilma, black women who cleaned my room, washed my clothes, stayed with me when my Mother was busy or gone. I remember my teachers – Mrs. Parsons who encouraged my love of science; Tezzie Cox who pushed me to stand in front of my peers and preside at Tuesday afternoon assemblies in high school; Madame Shaner who showed me what it meant to live with dignity and die with grace. I remember those older women (I called them all “Aunt” whether they were related or not) Aunt Helen and Aunt Susan in particular who cared for me in various ways and listened to me at times when others weren’t interested in my dreams. Some of these women had given birth to their own children, but all of them had children that they nurtured, that they mothered.

I don’t know that I will ever enjoy Mother’s Day.  My own children honor me with their lives and their love throughout the year, and I would rather that be the case than have one day of hoopla.  I am happy for those who can celebrate, but I don’t think I will ever forget the pain, or stop seeing the pain that others feel on this day. 

5 comments:

  1. Well said! Mothers come in many forms and types. I can imagine that it would be difficult to craft a Mother's Day sermon for a "one encompassing all" audience. Motherhood means more than just giving birth. Yesterday I thought about all the 2nd mothers I had in my life, most are now deceased and I received several phone calls from young people who felt that I made enough of an impact in their lives to call me on mother's day. Motherhood contains sorrow among the joy because that is what life is, the ying and the yang. You have to have darkness to see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Said and I can relate to many things you shared. How we treat others each day is a much better way to live. When Mother's day arrives I just smile and wave. :) -Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it will shock you to learn that I have a quibble with what you've said. ;)

    My quibble is this: that biological motherhood is the most important thing anyone can do for anyone else, because without it, no one exists at all. The same is just not true of other forms of mothering, even though they are extremely important. I figure, if you can find anything in your life that makes you want to keep living, you should honor your mother. Even if all she did for you is give birth. Even if she makes you miserable.

    I think it makes sense to take a nuanced and un-hurtful approach to Mother's Day, but I also think mothers and motherhood are worth celebrating.

    In other words, if I'm going to spend all this time making myself vulnerable to disease and death, toiling in the diaper mines, and sacrificing lifetime income, I think I deserve a thank-you once a year. And the same goes for other moms as well, most of whom have it much harder than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shock at all, Darlin'. :)

      I will say that not all biological mothers are equally deserving of honor; some are actually pretty horrible. And I think many adoptive moms and their kids would say that giving birth is a lot easier than raising a child. A biological mother may have spent 9 months inhabited by an other, but the woman who raises a child (with the diapers, sacrifice of lifetime income and all the rest)is really the "mother."

      My view here grows out of the grief that I felt for many years on Mother's Day. On the other hand, I suppose it is true that the reason for my grief was that I placed a high premium on biological motherhood.

      I'm sure you will have many awesome Mother's Days where Ada Grace will make you feel very appreciated.

      You are a great mother, by the way, and I love you for it!

      Delete
  4. viva3355 Guaranteed with the expertise to launch a duty free.

    It's one more chance for all of you to enjoy the new expertise in accessing Spanish 21 Blackjack Gold games with the right website viva3355 . There is so much realism. The service is modern. The problem of consumer desire is good. Guaranteed by the expertise to open the duty for more than 12 years.
    Because of the game Spanish 21 Blackjack Gold is a new card game. And it is at this time. The first thing you need to do is choose the amount of money to bet. Then, when you start playing, you will get 2 cards and face up to see the total points. Then make sure you draw the cards. Be careful not to have a total of 21 over 21 if you lose and lose money to the dealer immediately. If you are happy with your total then you may stop gambling and compare the sum of the cards to the dealer to determine who is the killer in the game.
    To see more clearly. You will be able to compete in the Spanish 21 Blackjack Gold game with us before. ag.viva9988 login We do not have any holidays at the site.

    ReplyDelete